Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Strawberry Syrup (and Jam)

This has got to be one of the best, most delicious syrups I have ever tasted-in my life!!  I don't remember where I found this recipe, but it was from the internet.

-2 LBS fresh strawberries, hulled
-4 cups white sugar
-1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh)

1. In large bowl, crush berries in batches till you have 4 cups of mashed berry.  (I use my Pampered Chef Mix 'n Chop).
2. In large saucepan, mix berries, sugar and lemon juice. Stir over low heat till sugar is dissolved.
3. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a full rolling boil.
4. BOIL, stirring often,  for about 3-4 minutes  *TO FIX JAM* boil till mixture reaches 220 degrees, about 8 minutes.
5. Transfer to hot sterile jars, leave 1/4 - 1/2" headspace, seal.  Process 10 minutes in a hot water bath.

My first attempt at making homemade strawberry jam was an amazing, tasty flop!!  I'm so glad I messed the recipe up :-)



Post a Comment