Thursday, June 3, 2010
Ok, so maybe not the most attractive dessert you've ever seen, but it sure is chocolaty and yummy!!
I've never had anything sweet cause me so much grief with Evan (my 3 yr old!). He now has baby's illness (coxsackie virus) and is feeling bad. Well he saw me go into the kitchen to bake and immediately wants to help me. I told him no, b/c he's sick. Well he started to chant mean mommy, mean mommy! WOW! I didn't see that one coming! I always knew he really enjoyed baking, but apparently he wants to do it sick or not! I have 2 rules in my kitchen RULE #1 You must have clean hands to help! and yes I do want to feel their recently washed hands :-)
RULE #2 You must not be sick, no fever or snotty noses please!
Anyway, he must've got sidetracked b/c he was fine by the time it came out of the oven and all was peaceful at the Hadley house once again. Hmm? Maybe it was the sweet heavenly aroma of chocolate cooking in the oven that acted like a natural tranquilizer for him? LOL!! Whatever it was I'm thankful!
Now on to the recipe,
Ingredients you will need:
Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler, OR do like I did and use a bowl inside a cooker filled with water, same concept :)
Next add beaten eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, and nuts if you're using them
Spoon into unbaked pie shell, OR just pour into greased glass or ceramic pie dish. This is the one I used, my wonderful Father-in-law bought it for me a couple years ago at Cracker Barrell, I just love it!
Bake till set, about 25 minutes, cool on wire rack. We have trouble letting things cool around here :)
Cut into pie shape. Top with Cool Whip and finely chopped nuts, if using. Or serve each slice with Cool whip on top, yummaroo!
*Fudgy Brownie Pie:
-1 whole stick butter (8 Tbls)
-2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
-2 large eggs *who ever buys small eggs? oh excuse me sir, but I would like to purchase some extra small eggs? you never hear that one! LOL!!*
-1 cup granulated sugar
-2 Tbls self-rising flour
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional, OR walnuts (which is my favorite nut!)
-1 (9") unbaked pie shell
-Whipped cream optional
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over low heat. Melt over simmering water, stirring frequently, until blended. Remove from heat. cool slightly.
3. Whisk eggs in a small bowl until blended. Add the eggs, granulated sugar, flour, vanilla extract and nuts in order listed to chocolate mixture, mixing well after each addition. Spoon into unbaked pie shell (or just regular greased pie pan).
4. Bake until set, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Cut pie into 8 equal portions. Top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and finely chopped nuts, if desired.